SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Funeral set for the London Muslim family killed in Sunday's attack

WATCH: More friends of Madiha Salman, one of the four people killed in a hit-and-run in London, Ontario, are sharing stories about what made her and her family so remarkable. Mike Drolet explains the environmental technology she helped develop at Western University, as new details surface about Salman's accused killer.

A funeral will be held on Saturday for the four members of the Afzaal family killed in the alleged hate-motivated attack.

Salman Afzaal, 46, his wife Madiha Salman, 44, their daughter Yumna Salman, 15, and her grandmother Talat Afzaal, 74, were struck and killed by a vehicle while out for a walk Sunday evening in London Ont.

The family’s nine-year-old son, who was injured during the attack, is the sole survivor and remains in hospital with serious injuries.

Read more:
‘Brutal and horrific’: Condolences pour in for Muslim family killed in London, Ont. attack

A private visitation will take place Saturday morning at O’Neil Funeral home before the procession leaves for the Islamic Centre of Southwestern Ontario.

Ali D Chahbar with the outreach committee at the London Muslim Mosque said the family is asking people not to go to the funeral home or line the streets.

Previous information from the funeral home had initially stated people were welcome to line the streets along the procession route, but Chahbar said the family does not want the day to turn into a “spectacle.”

“The public is more than welcome and encouraged to attend the actual funeral service,” he said.

People wanting to pay their respects are asked to go directly to the public service at the Islamic Centre of Southwestern Ontario at 951 Pond Mills Rd.

Read more:
Shows of solidarity with Muslim community in London, Ont. continue, court case resumes Thursday

Although funerals in the province are capped at 50 people, funeral director Joseph O’Neil said “in light of precedent set” during the vigil on Tuesday, the Bereavement Authority of Ontario is allowing more flexibility on size in this case.

An outdoor prayer service is set to start at 1 p.m. with a private burial to follow.

“The public is invited until the capacity is full and they hope to have live streaming up for the service as well,” O’Neil said.

All of those in attendance will be required to wear masks and asked to listen to organizers coordinating the service.

Earlier this week, a vigil was held in the aftermath of the attack. Thousands of people came together outside the London Mosque to pay their respects and show their support for the family.

London Police have said they believe the family was targeted because of their Muslim faith.

The driver of the vehicle, a 20-year-old London man, has been arrested and is facing four counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

You May Also Like

Top Stories